Thursday, May 5, 2011

Week 17 Transfers Came and my Testimony was Strenghtened

Hey Fam,

So you read right, my first transfer has already come and gone!  Can yall believe that I have been in Croatia for 2 months already??  Holy cow this is going fast!  However, I am no longer with Elder Warren and that is definitely a testimony builder.  So he is gone down to Osijek and is Westie's District Leader.   So I am still here in Zagreb, which is exactly where I wanted to be.  It is the biggest city and makes me feel at least a little at home because it is the most American like city.  So Elder Lifferth is my new companion.  You say it Lifert, just so you know.  He is super chill and we have had no arguments thus far lol.  I am so happy that I got the chance to stay here.  We have a goal for 28 baptisms by July and I hope that Lifferth and I can contribute to that here in Zagreb! 

So in a more perfect effect to contribute to that goal we were out doing some finding and it was a really good time for me.  We went tracting for a little and some guy let us in and so we sat and talked to him for a bit.  He said he wanted to be a hotel manager and was going to school for business so that was fun to sit and be able to talk about that for a bit.  It switched to an English conversation very fast when he heard my Croatian lol.  So then we went contacting for a little which I am still not the biggest fan of yesterday.  I was doing exceptionally well yesterday though.  At first it was like normal, my companion would say alright this next one is yours and I would find an excuse to not contact them, but I just stepped in front of the next dude and started talking.  Learning these missionary skills is really just like anything else, JUST DO IT.  The more I did it the more comfortable I was.  That story was just to basically explain that I am having better experiences with contacting the more I do it. 

So I was quite impressed with myself and how I am coming along with my Croatian.  Some things that I have been working on for awhile seemed to just come so naturally yesterday.  I am becoming my ˝witty self˝ as my district and zone leader like to word it.  We have a native Croatian sister serving here in Zagreb because of a medical issue with another sister that was required to go home.  That has really helped me with my Croatian.  Talking to her and being able to ask her questions that I wouldn't want to ask random people on the street.  I just have a hard time understanding the natives but when I hear one word I know I just go with it and sometimes I am talking about something totally different but hey whatever works right. 

So we had Zone Conference on Saturday.  It was a good experience and was my first one.  I got to see Westie which is usually the best part of these little meetings.  It is nice for everyone to be able to meet together and catch up.  I also like being able to receive council from President Hill.  So that was fun. 

Well I don't think anything else has happened except transfers.  Not many funny stories this week I'm sorry.  But I am learning and growing everyday.  I am begging to like it more and more everyday.  I can't quite say I love this language or these people yet but I working at that too.  Even though the branch here is small and very dysfunctional I have come to understand what a sacrifice it really is for these people and that gives me a greater love and respect for these people.  This is an area of the world where yes you really can lose all your friends, your job, and be persecuted for being a member of our church.  There is only one Aaronic priesthood holder in our branch and he is a priest.  He told me how he used to get beat up at school and he still gets crap for it all the time.  Anything for people burning him with there cigarettes to people just calling him names.  I have such a great respect for these people. 

Well I love you all and now I have some information you have all been waiting for... Phone Calls for Mothers Day.  So I know it is short notice but that's not my fault.  So this is how we do it here.  You call me on our cell phone and we talk for an hour..... Hard huh.  So we need to figure out a time that we can all talk.  I get an hour with Dad and an hour with Mom.  We are 8 hours ahead here and I don't know what time yall have church.  So I am allowed to check my email again in the middle of the week to make sure we have everything figured out.  There will be no test call so sorry.  We have church from 10 till 2 our time.  It doesn't matter who calls first but I kinda need you all to communicate and schedule it then let me know.  So I don't know when i will check my email again so if yall could just figure it out asap and email me.  Thanks. 

I am doing good and all is well.  I hope you all are happy and healthy.  I love you all and can't wait to talk to you. 

Love Elder Massey

No comments: